Archive for the ‘ 365 Project ’ Category

4. Presence

Aim: to show human presence without actually showing one

Idea: Coffee mug with vapors coming out of it

I have been trying to capture smoke for a long time now. So, after so many failed attempts I finally made it. I learnt few tricks from

The main trick is to use a dark background and to only light the smoke carrying vessel. I don’t have external camera lights so I used a torch to light the coffee mug.

Trial photo to just see how Long Exposures and selective lighting go together

I used actual coffee but it din’t produce much vapors 😦

So i used incense sticks, it did produce smoke but it was concentrated to only one place

Too much smoke 😛

Got the right amount of smoke
Changed some positions and got the final photo

Collage of edited ones

My Favourite final photograph

3. Man to Machine

Aim: to depict the theme ‘Man to Machine’

Idea: to show the co-existence and harmony of man and machine

There was not much to be done on composition as it was a tricky photograph and I had to act spontaneously. Anyways I got the idea from a photograph I saw on Facebook.

Recreating the above photograph required 6 models and other accessories and the main problem was to arrange all of them. I faced some problems in arranging tyres but finally everything happened.

Final photo:


2. Spirit Bomb

Aim: To depict the theme ‘Spirit Bomb’

Idea: Multiple exposure to give the photograph a surreal feel

This was the trial photograph, just to see what settings we had to use to get the required result. 

  •  The idea was that only the hands of the model would move but in this photograph his body was also moving.
  •  The background- trees etc. were distracting.
  •  More stops of hands were required

  • Hand movements increased
  • Model’s body is more or less stable
  • Due to long exposure the tree was very well exposed and was taking the attention away
  • The surreal, spiritual feel was still not dominant
  • Dark background, to avoid distractions
  • Change of costume as previous one was too loose
  • Also some experiments with smoke to give it more of a surreal feel but failed

Final photograph
  • The color version was looking more impactful
  • Some post-processing was done to bring focus on hands and the face

1. Man to Machine

It is the theme of a photography competition I am currently working on. While browsing randomly through some photographs on Flickr, I saw this photograph by Miss Aniela. I decided to modify it to suit the theme of ‘Man to machine’.

The idea was to show how a person is addicted to the computer and internet and he couldn’t get rid of it even he wants to.

I arranged some discarded monitor and rope, but the difficult part was the model. It is extremely hard to find some model for a nude photograph in India, specially when you are not known professionally. I even doubted that the organizers would also put it into vulgar category and discard my entry. Anyways, I finally decided to model myself.

1st photo


1. The rope was loose and  it din’t give the feel of a person being trying to be free but couldn’t.

2. The posture looked awkward.

3. The background had 2-3 color tones and it was distracting.

4. The semi-nude condition was not supporting the photograph. It should either be completely nude or in general clothing.

I tried again by making some of above changes and also incorporating HDR but still it is not looking good enough.


%d bloggers like this: